HomecampaignPorter on viral videos: 'I could have handled things better'

Porter on viral videos: 'I could have handled things better'

campaignOctober 15, 2025
3 min read
Porter on viral videos: 'I could have handled things better'
California Democratic gubernatorial candidate Katie Porter acknowledged in an interview on Tuesday that “I could have handled things better” after several videos published over the last week generated...
Reading Settings

California Democratic gubernatorial candidate Katie Porter acknowledged in an interview on Tuesday that “I could have handled things better” after several videos published over the last week generated criticism around her behavior.

“When I look at those videos, I want people to know that I understand that I could have handled things better. I think I'm known as someone who's able to handle tough questions, who's willing to answer questions, and I want people to know that I really value the incredible work that my staff can do,” Porter said in an interview with The Hill’s sister station and Nexstar affiliate KTLA in her first appearance since the videos became public.

“People who know me know I can be tough, but I need to do a better job expressing appreciation for the amazing work that my team does,” she added.

Porter landed in hot water last week after CBS News aired an interview with her in which reporter Julie Watts at one point asked the former California congresswoman what she would say to the close to 40 percent of the Californians who voted for President Trump in last year's election.

Porter initially appeared to suggest she wouldn’t need the support of those who backed Trump last year for her to win the governor's race. She eventually clarified that she was “going to try to win every vote I can.” 

Amid the back-and-forth between Porter and Watts, the former congresswoman signaled that she wanted to end the interview, looking visibly frustrated by the line of questioning. A Porter campaign spokesperson noted she stayed for another 20 minutes after that exchange.

Shortly after negative headlines over that back-and-forth, Politico published a video taken in 2021 for which Porter was recording a video call with then-Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm. In the video, a staffer walked into her frame, and Porter could be seen saying “Get out of my f‑‑‑ing shot.”

The staffer noted they were trying to correct something that Porter had said during the video call with Granholm.

“OK, you also were in my shot before that. Stay out of my shot,” Porter said.

The exchanges coupled together generated lots of criticism online toward Porter, including from her gubernatorial opponents. Still, some of the organizations that are backing Porter in the race came to her defense.

KTLA’s Nikki Laurenzo asked Porter several times if California voters could be confident that there wouldn’t be any other damaging videos surfacing after those viral exchanges. Porter declined to commit that there wouldn’t be any other videos coming out afterward but did acknowledge that how she treated her staffer was “wrong” and said she did apologize to them.

“What I know is that I could have done better in those moments,” Porter told Laurenzo. “I'm going to be focused on earning their votes and earning their trust. That's true in every election. I've only ever had tough elections, so I'm absolutely aware that I'm going to have to continue to show them. I'm going to have to answer every question.”

Source: The Hill - News

Share this article

Related Articles

2025 election results reveal choice for Democrats in 2026, 2028
Nov 106 months ago

2025 election results reveal choice for Democrats in 2026, 2028

The 2025 election results provide an opportunity for Democrats to choose between relying on an anti-Trump message or inspiring voters with a bold economic vision, and the choice will decide the future...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5598047","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}6 min read
Read More
Christine Pelosi passes on bid for retiring mother's House seat
Nov 106 months ago

Christine Pelosi passes on bid for retiring mother's House seat

Christine Pelosi is running for office, but not for her mother’s seat. Pelosi, the daughter of retiring Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), announced Monday she is running to represent San Francisco in the ...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5598878","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
Jeffries says Democrats will ‘definitely’ win back House control in 2026
Nov 106 months ago

Jeffries says Democrats will ‘definitely’ win back House control in 2026

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said on Sunday he’s confident Democrats will take back the House in the 2026 midterm elections and is optimistic about his party’s chances to win back co...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5598012","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
O'Reilly on Democrat's 2025 election sweep: 'People were angry'
Nov 086 months ago

O'Reilly on Democrat's 2025 election sweep: 'People were angry'

Political commentator Bill O'Reilly suggested Friday that Tuesday's blue election sweep can be tracked to voters' issues with affordability and a rising cost of living just 10 months into President Tr...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5596742","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}3 min read
Read More