HomeadministrationUS increasing embassy staffing to handle World Cup fans

US increasing embassy staffing to handle World Cup fans

administrationOctober 2, 2025
3 min read
US increasing embassy staffing to handle World Cup fans
The Trump administration announced Thursday that it will move to increase staffing at select embassies abroad to account for a likely surge in visa applications for soccer fans hoping to attend 2026 W...
Reading Settings

The Trump administration announced Thursday that it will move to increase staffing at select embassies abroad to account for a likely surge in visa applications for soccer fans hoping to attend 2026 World Cup games in the U.S.

The State Department said it will send hundreds of additional consular officers to “designated countries” to handle the demand for visa interviews. The number of staffers and the countries where they will be stationed have not yet been determined, as the 48 competing teams for the World Cup have not been finalized. 

The Associated Press reported first reported the staffing change. 

Tickets for the tournament went on sale Wednesday for games that will take place across the U.S., Canada and Mexico. But visa applications to the U.S. are occurring amid the administration’s crackdown on migrants and temporary visas. 

The administration said last month it was reviewing the profiles of 55 million U.S. visa holders for any violations that could lead to deportations. 

World Cup travelers coming from countries that have a visa-free waiver program with the U.S. — particularly from European and Asian nations — will not likely require an in-person interview to travel to the U.S. 

But travelers from countries not enrolled in the program and who do not already have valid tourist or business visas will need to apply, a process that requires an in-person interview and enhanced security screening. 

“Certain countries are going to be very, very easy and other countries are going to be, obviously a little bit more difficult,” President Trump told the press from the Oval Office last month. 

Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem, standing with the president, said visa applicants will be “thoroughly vetted, but they’ll be welcomed to this country. It'll happen quickly, and we're excited for them to come.”

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, speaking in May, encouraged World Cup visitors not to “overstay your visa. Don't stay too long.”

The State Department reportedly implemented a “catch and revoke” policy to cancel the visas of foreign nationals who appear to support Hamas or other U.S.-designated terrorist groups. In August the department reportedly revoked 6,000 student visas for violations of U.S. law or overstays.  

The U.S. has seen a drop in international tourists attributed to Trump’s return to the White House, his antagonism toward other countries, his punishing tariff policies and his immigration crackdown. 

Source: The Hill - News

Share this article

Related Articles

Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors
Nov 116 months ago

Trump keeps historic meeting with Syria’s leader behind closed doors

President Trump on Monday kept a historic meeting with Syria’s interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa behind closed doors, an unusual move for a president who frequently opens up the Oval Office to cameras...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599534","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}7 min read
Read More
Wall Street Journal dismisses Trump $2K dividend idea: 'Hail Mary pass'
Nov 116 months ago

Wall Street Journal dismisses Trump $2K dividend idea: 'Hail Mary pass'

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) editorial board panned President Trump’s proposal to provide $2,000 tariff rebate checks to most Americans, calling it a “Hail Mary pass.” “President Trump has a big tar...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5599699","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
Live updates: Paul stalls shutdown vote as Senate deal inches forward
Nov 106 months ago

Live updates: Paul stalls shutdown vote as Senate deal inches forward

The Senate convened Monday after it voted to advance a proposal that could reopen the federal government.  But Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has slowed any movement on Capitol Hill after raising concern over...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5597340","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}2 min read
Read More
Top BBC bosses step down following criticism of edited Trump speech
Nov 106 months ago

Top BBC bosses step down following criticism of edited Trump speech

Two top officials at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) stepped down Sunday following criticism of the way the British public broadcaster edited a speech delivered by President Trump on Jan. 6...

{"_":"https://thehill.com/?p=5597976","$":{"isPermaLink":"false"}}4 min read
Read More